Thursday, April 19, 2012
Balancing the Serger Stitches
Four thread Overlock
1. For testing the balance use 4 different color threads.
2. If the lower looper is coming to the front then it is too loose.
3. But most times if you tighten the lower looper thread then you may need to loosen the upper looper thread. Hence - balance. The same applies if the upper looper thread is going to the back, tighten the upper looper thread and loosen the lower looper thread.
Three Thread Rolled Hem
1. The needle tension should be normal or one number higher because it is the security of the stitch.
2. Upper looper (depending on the thread used) should be at a normal setting.This is the thread that encases the raw edge of the fabric - a lot like sausage casing. :-)
a. Wooly nylon - normal
b. Regular serger thread the tension will need to be a little tighter or a higher number.
c. Jeans stitch or a heavier weight thread then the tension needs to be a little looser.
3. Three Thread Decorative Edge
1. In most cases all normal settings will work.
2. If needed loosen both the upper and lower looper tensions to accommodate the weight of the thread.
To practice some of these techniques - go to www.Janome.com and look at "Projects" and select "Square Dance Purse" or "Crazy Quilt Bag". There are several serger projects on the site that you can chose from for learning how to bond with your serger.