Tuesday, March 27, 2012

More Serger Fun



This picture is not a true sample but just a look at how to weave.

I was at Steve's Sew & Vac in King of Prussia, PA. last week and they were doing a serger project that I had done many many years ago. The class loved it and it brought back such beautiful memories of when I lived in Florida and taught serger club.

The technique was - taking strips of fabric (about 3" x 16") and doing a 3 thread overlock stitch of the long sides using heavy decorative thread. (Pearl Crown Rayon, Candlelight, etc.) You could put wrong sides together and make two strips into one for more weight.
After all the strips have been edged, just weave them like a basket weave. They did something a little different than I did..but

I laid them flat and with right sides together laid a flange back on top of the weaved strips (secured them with washable glue stick). I serged all four sides and had a super duper pillow cover.

Today I was thinking wouldn't that make a sensational front for a purse or totebag???
Of course you could adhere the strips to fusible batting or fusible interfacing. Oh the possibilities!!!!

I just love my serger and am anxious to make something today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment