Friday, April 29, 2011

Needle Alert!!!!


Purse made using a Cover Stitch machine. If you would like the instructions, please just ASK!

USE THE NEEDLES RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR SERGER!!!!!!!
I have recently been helping someone who is working with a coverstich machine. Some of these machines take a Schmetz EL x 705 needle type. When the manual for your machine indicates the type needle for best results- follow their recommendation!!!

Things that could happen - damage to the looper, which is very expensive to replace or repair. Throw off the timing, again very expensive to repair. So to save a dollar (using the incorrect needle type) you will end up spending $100 or more. That does not make sense to me.

Just because you want to use a size 14 needle - does not mean that you could use a (conventional sewing machine) universal or ballpoint needle as a substitute. The needles are important to the functionality of the chain looper. Coverstitch and 5 thread sergers work differently than 4 thread sergers.

When I am working on a garment, quilt, home dec. etc using my serger I change my needles often and remove any lint or fabric scraps from inside the machine. I vacuum out the debris. And as indicated in the manual I keep it lubricated in the suggested locations.

Nowadays most websites (for your serger) have hints, FAQs and videos. Take the time to go to the site and navigate to the serger pages. It will prove very beneficial in the long run.

SO - USE THE RIGHT NEEDLES FOR YOUR SERGER!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the purse. I don't have a coverstitch machine, can this be done on a regular serger? I would love to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name of thepurse is "Fancee Purse" and the instructions are on the Janome website under projects. Instead of using a cover stitch you could substitute a 3 thread flatlock stitch.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete