Friday, November 12, 2010

Miss you........



Oh my goodness, it has been so long since I have written anything on my blog. I didn't forget, I have just been working my day job and loving every minute of it.
Winter is here in the North - frost has been on the pumpkin and I am wearing my flannel robe. It is one that I made years ago with my serger and my trusty sewing machine. It has (the fabric) toasters, fried eggs, alarm clocks, cups of coffee etc on it. I love it. I bought the fabric when I was shopping with my BFF Alice.

Well now to write something of value for all of you.
Remeber when I wrote the instructions for a round table cloth - well how about making it reversible for the holidays. Thanksgiving on one side and Christmas on the other? Yes I made one and I still put it on my table for the holidays. Of course I didn't know then how to make it easy, do now!

Some other ideas are Christmas stockings made with the serger. I am sure you can find a pattern for the base of the sock but the fun part is always putting the white cuff on. So I put it inside the stocking, serge all around the top and then flip it over and it looks GREAT! About serging the cuff, you can notch to start or just ease on and serge off - both techniques work just fine.

Then there is the famous serger tree skirt. I have to tell you one of my favorite notions is my yardstick compass (for making circles). I have made numerous tree skirts for myself, family and friends using that sweet notion. I make a large circle with it, smaller circle in the center then draw lines across the center. Next on ONE piece add about 1/2" seam allowance on both long sides.
Use it as a pattern to cut the fabric. THEN I flatlock the pieces together. Finally I put the decorative thread in both looper and use a 4 thread overlock stitch and edge the center curve and the outside curve. Believe it or not, it doesn't take very long to complete one. (You can use the curved outter edge or cut it any shape you like.) Here are a few graphics to spark your imagination. :-)

Maybe Saturday or Sunday I will put some ideas on the blog on how to make a basket - lickety split.

Have a wonderful weekend, and use your serger to share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment