Wednesday, July 14, 2010

BFF - question about a 5 thread serger she owns




Yesterday one of my BFFs asked if I would address some questions about 5 thread sergers. Even though most of them all perform the same functions (Cover stitch, chainstitch, 5 thread safety stitch etc.)I know personally of one that does a blanket stitch. I don't often endorse a product unless I have experience with it. Some products I have tried and DO NOT like - but I keep those harsh comments to myself.
But I have used the Janome 1200D since it first came out and I can truly say that I can make it sing. I have done the blanket stitch on many items with wonderful results. The rolled hem is another favorite of mine and it doesn't matter what thread is used, the stitch is sensational!

Special note - How is the blanket stitch achieved? Heavier weight thread (jeans stitch works or 25wt cotton quilting thread) in the needle - size 14 (no tension at all), regular serger thread in the loopers (tigthest tension - check manual first), long stitch length, wide bite for the knife(blade), differential feed between 0.5 and 1. I didn't find wooly nylon as cooperative as suggested for this stitch.

If you have any questions or need help....just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment