Friday, June 4, 2010

Serger Pintucking


Oh the rolled hem edge has so many applications!
Set up the serger for a rolled hem or a picot edge - whichever you like best. You can embellish a ready to wear garment or start from scratch.
I have done both.
You can create the pintucks by placing the fabric WRONG SIDES TOGETHER and without cutting the fabric (use the knife as a seam guide)serge a straight line. Just remember that when you do create this pintuck allow for the loss of fabric within the seam. So - cut more than you need if you are starting from scratch.
If you are embellishing ready to wear - here is a hint - leave a long thread tail and add beads or buttons or charms to the end of the rolled hem.
I have seen so many tops these days where they have made these pintucks at the neckline to make the blouse flair out.

Of course as always TEST first on a scrap of fabric. When I am testing I usually make a purse, pillow cover or totebag. Cause I hate to waste my efforts especially if it turns out good.

You can test on scraps and then arrange them to make a pillow or purse by alternating the squares vertical and horizontal....

5 comments:

  1. I found this site because I was debating whether to do serger or regular machine pintucks, folding wrong sides together to give the pintuck more heft. Ended up doing both on the same blouse. Regular machine pintucks are much more difficult to keep straight, even with chalk marking. Serger pintucks are fatter, and the closest they can be done are every 1/2 inch. IMHO serger pintucks are much better. Regular machine pintucks are more "girly" and smaller. I wanted a more dramatic look. Thanks for this site. It makes me happy to be able to go somewhere to find discussions on various sewing "controversies." Who knew? This is my husband's Google account. I'm Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serger pintucking is so much fun. I am planning on making a project this week using the cording foot to feed cord through and do a rolled hem over it to make decorative pintucking. That cording foot is not only for using fishing line to make wedding veils. I will let you know what other ideas I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen people use a serger, fishing line and glitzy fabric to make Christmas ribbons that are quite beautiful. I just don't know whether they used a rolled hem or not, and there's nobody to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you use a rolled hem or a picot edge. If you need settings for rolled hem, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete