Monday, March 29, 2010

Serger Vs Sewing Machine (again but a little different)

I will often use the serger instead of the sewing machine whenever I can. I have several drawers of decorative thread that I use to edge throw pillows, placemats, tablecloths, napkins, appliance covers, bath mats (made from old towels), changing pads (put old square of plastic shower curtain in the middle layer to water proof),

These are just some of the many things I do using the serger instead of the sewing machine - to save time.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve a virtually invisible blind hem stitch for hemming pants. I want it to look as if it was completed by a tailor. In looking at some pants I had hemmed at the tailor, it appears that a serger was used???? Is it possible to achieve this with a serger and if so what type of stitch do I use etc? I have a Singer Quantumlock w/5 threads.....Thanks for any help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way to do a blind hem on the serger is using a flatlock stitch (2 or 3 thread) with a blind hem foot. It has a wheel on it for adjusting the bite. It takes a lot of practice to get perfect but it can be done. Years ago I had a blind hemmer made by Babylock and it worked perfect for knits. Again it took a little practice but after you got the hang of it - worked sensational. Gave it to my mother-in-law because she just loved it. My sister has one she never uses - maybe she will pass it on to me one day.

    ReplyDelete