Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Making flowers

For embellishment on hats both fleece, knit or whatever and for purses and totebags - here is a hint.

Take a 2" x 22" piece of organza or cotton.
Set up the serger for a rolled hem with matching thread.
Serge down one long side and when you get to the end angle off. If possible start at an angle too.

For the opposite long side set up the serger to gather and gather down the long side with the raw edge. To make it twirl into a flower just pull the threads from the thread tail. OR if desired do a running stitch with a hand sewing needle and thread to form the flower the size desired.

For the middle I attach a button or piece of ribbon or whatever is laying around on my cutting table from previous projects. :-D

Note - you can also use satin, batiste or any light to medium weight fabric desired. Won't work with heavier fabric like canvas.

Oh - you can put the flower(s) on jackets, dresses, vests or any garment that you would like to add personality. Or glue them to a headband. There's an idea that just popped into my head. If you watch American Idol you will see that a lot of the girls are wearing flowers in their hair. Cute and easy to make!!!!

Let me know if you make any and how you like them.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea!! Sorry I missed you at the Dallas Quilt show! You were "on" when I had to pick up my son from preschool! Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to chat with you in person. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ideas for making flowers. Thanks. I posted an idea on my blog that would work for your flowers. After making the flower, stitch it to a big snap. If you have the other half of the snap on maybe your coat or jacket, you could take the flower off for washing and you can change the flower with your mood or season.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete